April 24, 2009

Keeping Up

Some times, some days, during certain some moments, I lock myself in the bathroom of my home-office and pray that my unread inbox count will magically reduce to less than 20 by the time I return to the grind. And 20 actually isn't all that bad, considering my usual daily email flow can easily contain 200+ back and forths, but I'm usually pretty good at keeping up with it so letting it rest at 20+ tends to send me into an "oh my god I need to do this that and there and this and those and these before 6PM..." kind of freak out "I need a break" mode. And then I read just a sampling of posts from other fellow mommy bloggers and feel like a complete schmuck for feeling entitled to a break. How could I be such a presumptuous @*$#! thinking myself entitled to such uncalled for luxuries? But I'll still put it out there - keeping up isn't as easy as it used to be, and it's not as though keeping up is "optional" so...

So, my job for the weekend: Catch up to the point where my laptop is no longer an extension of my hips. Eat dinner, play out side, watch a show, without being wired in to the world I deserve to take a break from on the weekends. Here I go, I'm walking away. Slowly, one step at a time. I'm going to enjoy a weekend with my family that does not involve "touching base" or "checking in" with anything Internet related. Granted, this will actually be a bit easier this weekend seeing as my laptop is now technically a desktop since the battery refuses to charge, but then there's that damn crackberry...

Wish me luck. It could be good, very very good.

No comments: