September 24, 2008

Moving Right Along


Ashton is 16 months 19 days old and has been in our arms 3 months 21 days. He spent the first 13 months of his life in Ethiopia where he learned to sit up, eat crackers, crawl, pull himself up on objects and even take a step or two. It was in Ethiopia where he mastered the art of projectile vomiting, but also the art of charming everyone within eye shot. He learned a lot during his first 13 months, here are some details on the 3 1/2 that have followed:

*Forget walking, he's running. Up hills, down hills, over and under fences, and through pumpkin patches (my favorite).
*He'll eat anything. He may spit it out or shoot a "why did you feed THAT to me?" look in your direction, but he'll at least try it. He's down to one bottle a day, just before bedtime.
*Ma ma ma, buh buh buh, da da da, and Ay-EEE-aaai-mmm-boooooi (said repeatedly and with varying tones) are so yesterday. Today he's more nuh or ehh (when pointing to a horse), uff (dog), and mow (cat). He also says a lot of Uh-ohhh...
*Meltdowns have severely decreased in frequency, though he still requires a fairly regular reminder of what will happen if he throws himself on the floor and screams loud enough so that even those folks living in Alaska on that island with a road that's not connected to a bridge can hear him.
*I need more refrigerator space. He comes home from school with beautiful artwork at least 3 times a week so I quickly ran out of space on the fridge and started taping them to the walls. He likes finger painting best. We do a lot of laundry.
*Surprise surprise, the boy likes to rock out. He'd rather sit on our laps and read a story with music blaring in the background than pretty much anything else - it's the cure all. Needless to say we end our evenings with a combo rock/read jam session every night.

And last but certainly not least, DRUM ROLL PLEASE...

7:30PM - 7:00AM - HIS SLEEPING HOURS FOR 3 NIGHTS IN A ROW!!! I'm one proud (and well rested) momma. And I totally just jinxed myself didn't I...

On one last note, we contacted, interviewed, and hired for one night only... a babysitter! Tomorrow night we will put Ashton to bed and then leave him in the hands of another person long enough to go to dinner and maybe even a movie but most definitely a late night cocktail at a bar...without a baby. I'm only slightly concerned because we haven't done this since, well the night be fore we left for Ethiopia in May, and I'm afraid our date night planning skills have suffered a bit. My guess is that they'll come back pretty quickly the moment we realize that we can enjoy our glass of wine in a restaurant without having to employ our super power reflexes in the event that a certain someone decides to throw a certain something (body parts included) in the glasses general direction. It's been a while since I've enjoyed a glass of wine over dinner with only one hand.

But what you really came for...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, next time I come to visit I may have to borrow your shoes...too cute. Also, If you would like to share some art work with this grandma I'd love to take some of the excess, or old off your hands. Of course I would save it for your scrapbook. Which remainds me wouldn't you guys love to have Mike's scrapbooks? You could show Ash all of his creative works!! :) Love PC

PS Give the sitter my number too...just in case !!

Ms. Fricknfrack said...

Ashton sounds like a delight. And go you for getting a babysitter. I hope date night is swell and I dare you to try and not talk about Ash once during the evening.

Suwheeet shoes!!!

stephanie
http://mubarek.wordpress.com/

Gamma! said...

All I've got to say is when did you have time in your schedule to shop (albeit on line) for those adoreable shoes - and can you find them in size 6 please!
You are one very blessed family to have found each other - God is so very good and we are thankful. I can't wait to come and have some one on one time with my grandson - one week from today! Sounds like I'd better sleep until then! :)
Love you all, mom/gamma

Barbara said...

Pass me that wine baby! And have a great night out (followed of course by a sleep in til 7:30)

Annie said...

hope you have a wonderful date night!

yes, I remember those projectile vomiting days, but how far he has come!!!!! Do you just melt each day w/ his smile???It gets me w/ every photo.

I definitely hope we can meet up in the next year or two...I have friends in Buck County PA....maybe we can schedule something when I head east.

los cazadores said...

Man, I have a skirt that would look fantasmo with those shoes. Want to loan them out? :)

If you send them DHL they will get here by Friday night's dinner plans....

Of course, they might be in use I suppose. :)

Lil' Ashton...what can I say... Lucky ducks you guys are!

Cindy

Dan, Misty & Ashar said...

Bravo! Nice work on the shoes and on Ashton sleeping through the night! Sweet sleep:)

Anonymous said...

Love the shoes! But LOVE the sleep schedule even more - wish I had your sleep juju.

Anonymous said...

Darling pictures (both of them). I'm not a big shoe person, but for shoes like that I could change my priorities somewhat. Glad things are going well with the transitioning; keep on doing what you're doing. Love Carol McG