August 12, 2008

Bumps, Fives, Skin, And Kisses

Ashton has mastered the art of the bump, high fives, give me some skin, and blowing kisses. Somehow we managed to actually have the video camera handy after dinner tonight to catch the whole lot of them in action. Pretty darned amazing in itself right?



Today we completed our first post placement visit. Our social worker came for a visit and Ashton was in great form once he woke up from a nap in his stroller (we're finally getting tricky with ways to make him take an afternoon nap so that he's more on the daycare schedule...I'm guessing he'll catch on in about 2 days and arrange a formal revolt). He showed off his LEGO, walking, block building (and crashing down, of course), and hammering of shapes skills and she took loads of notes as we recounted that last 15 months of our life. You see, we started the adoption process in May of 2007 and Ashton was born on May 5th of 2007. It was just a hare over a year from us starting the process when we finally met our son, and we've now been together exactly 10 weeks today. It's amazing, and I'm really not doing the verb justice by settling for the word amazing, how far things have come in 10 weeks.

The next two weeks are going to fly by. He's going to run quicker, feed himself faster, add more words to his vocabulary, and keep on sharing smiles that make me forget that our washer and dryer have been on the fritz since he came home and we opted for cloth'ish diapers...OH WAIT - NEWS!!! The washer is F-I-X-E-D and the dryer will be later this evening (turned out to be just a broken belt) so we'll avoid the whole re-plumbing option and have a complete set of washing drying animals all set to line up for duty by later this evening. Hallelujah. Holy s***. Where's the Tylenol? (For those of you less familiar with the most sacred of Christmas movies, you'll find the quote about half way down the linked to page)

9 comments:

Dan, Misty & Ashar said...

Nice usage on that quote! I love the video. Too stinking cute. I hope you're wrong about our referral, cuz I was kind of hoping to avoid the whole lake fiasco again until next summer! Guess I'll have to give it one more go!

Rebecca said...

Love the video! I saw a cute kid out one day when I was shopping, and he was giving a 'pound' as I like to call it. It was maybe the cutest thing I'd ever seen. Until I saw Ashton do it :)

los cazadores said...

That is friggin cute! Little Ashton Wondemu is a heart stealer...

Cindy

Leah said...

I came across you blog and its the most useful and intresting blog that i have found. you are so honest and detailed with your experience I am so greatful for your step by step and emotions. I have gotten teary eyes, and even cried...so not me. we got our referal last week and should get a court date when the courts reopen in oct and hope to fly oct or nov. blessing to you and your family. i now have a idea of the attachement of the baby, that its not a walk in the park, the chances of a "bug" that we or the baby can have and the going to the doctor as soon as we get home. keep updating, your advice help and information is so usful. I am in az and have 2 kids, but a baby from another country will be a intresting adventure to see how she reacts to us, our kids, leaving her "home" and where she has become attached to. Just wanted to say I found you and glad I did, in AZ..Leah and Family

Leah said...

Your blog has caught my attention and has given me so much information that will be useful. Thank you for your step by step experience. WOW I cant wait to bring our baby girl home, and love the advice, experience first hand that you have share, the emotions you went through which I sheded some tears of the attachment at the beinging of your returning home and you child use to the enviroment and having to get adjust. thank you for the honesty and the daily advice and entries. I read them all, wrote down what I need to know for our trip. we got our referral last week, when courts open in oct a court date we are told and should fly in oct or nov. our experience has gone smooth and fast, we have 2 kids and wonder how they will react to our new addition, how the baby will attach and how she will react to the surroundings. thanks for the blog, its great and so much help

los cazadores said...

I went to your label "Amharic" and you've got many great things there for me to peruse! Thank you! In fact, I think today I may order "Zufan and the Flower"...

Cindy

Anonymous said...

WOW, he is really a charmer. Too cute, thanks for sharing and YEAH in the laundry items. Mom C

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

That video was adorable! You've got a quick learner.
And, I can't even imagine how quickly 10 weeks must pass when you're home with your little one....

Also-the aha moments. I know what you mean about there being moments you just don't "get it". I'm having those too frequently lately.

:(