January 12, 2009

Bedtime Stories

I really wish I would've had my camera during bath and bedtime tonight because the description of the scene detailed below would definitely benefit from some well taken advantage of photo opps. Oh well, next time I'll remember to duct tape my camera to my forehead.

Tonight was bath night, and it's hair washing night which means he gets to endure several LONG minutes of me picking his hair to get all of the snarls out (and anything else that crept its way in during the week). He's actually gotten really good at this and just plays with his boats and fishies while mommy untangles the beautiful curls that I refuse to cut. I finished yanking on his curls just about the moment he decided it was "nigh nigh" time for his fishes. Perfect, we dried off, oiled up, zipped up the PJ's, and it was off to bed (nigh nigh).

Usually we read several stories, lay him down for the night and it's off to dreamland till morning. And let's just make one thing clear right now - it's definitely HIS definition of morning. As far as I'm concerned his leap from dreamland to good morning sunshine occurs more at the hour of YOU SHOULD STILL BE SLEEPING! But that's just my opinion. So anyhow, back to bedtime. He usually acts like a gorilla first (pounding his chest and saying ooh ooh ooh) which means that he wants me to read Goodnight Gorilla. Only tonight, he wanted to read it to me. He took the book, flipped from page to page while "reading" the story, and then it was off to the next book. Finally I put him in his crib, where for the last few nights we've left his favorite book - one about apple picking in the Fall - because he seemed to like looking at it while dozing off. Only tonight he actually laid down on his tummy and opened the book and the read it, out lout, to himself. When he was finished (I could see/hear on the baby monitor) he said...

"Nigh nigh apples. Nigh nigh mommy daddy."

Then he fell asleep.

9 comments:

Jill said...

Those are the kind of evenings that just melt your heart! Big kisses to Ash!

Annie said...

How precious! Oh, how your little boy is growing up :)

PC said...

Thanks you for sharing. What a wonderful way to start my day. Love PC

Sam's mom said...

after my day yesterday, this is just what I needed. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your family!

Anonymous said...

The pictures in our head tell the whole story; no camera needed!
Love Carol McG

Gamma! said...

Be still my heart! Thank you for making my day perfect - again :) Love you all!

Sandi said...

That is so adorable! :)

Cloverland Farm said...

pre-cious!
can't wait for tomorrow night!

Barbara said...

That's awesome. And we have Goodnight Gorilla too! I love that one.