January 20, 2009

Today

I'm much better at reflecting than anticipating. Even with my uncontrollable urge to over analyze, over think, and over prepare, my reflections still continue to teach me more than any of my anticipations ever have. So, there was just no way I could have put my thoughts on paper about today's events before they actually happened in a way that would accurately represent how I felt. I had to wait until they were over to allow the chills that ran through my body, the fresh breath that sighed through my lungs, and the quick step that invaded my feet before my mind was ready to embrace how truly iconic today was.

I, a woman, have renewed confidence in America. I, a mom to an African American son, have renewed confidence in America. I, a believer that diversity and unity are a solution, have renewed confidence in America. As President Obama says, "It's not about me, it's about you." And I, for one, am ready for today. Ready for tomorrow. And ready to be the change we wish to see in the world and not be silent about the things that matter. I've never felt so inspired.

As we sat in a local restaurant and watched the first African American take the oath of office as President of the United States of America, I cried. I don't cry at funerals. I don't cry in hospitals. I don't cry over spilled milk. But apparently even my tear ducts aren't immune when it comes to events that change the course of the world. This is big, and this is good.